The holiday season is finally here, and most of you are probably in the process of decorating! If you celebrate Christmas, you know that a must-have decoration is, of course - the Christmas tree! While you can opt for a fake tree, there's something special about a real tree. The only dilemma is that you usually have to transport the tree home from the farm. This task can be tedious and a hassle if you don't know what you're doing. Thankfully, we have put together several tips of our own. Please make sure you have the following items: gloves, a covering (blanket, sheet, or tarp), and lots of rope (or twine, nylon straps, or bungee cords)
Follow these steps to ensure you safely and securely bring your tree home:
- Rock the tree before anything else! Giving your tree a shake is a great way to eliminate bugs, needles, or splintered branches before encasing it. After choosing your tree, the tree farm may even offer to net it for you.
- Wrap your tree using a blanket, tarp, or sheet (if netting service is not available). This step makes it easier to hold the tree without getting hurt by its needles. It will also prevent the roof of your car from any paint damage.
- Lift your tree (with gloves on). When you're adjusting the tree on the roof of your car, you should always have the stump facing the front of the vehicle. Make sure you handle the tree with care!
- Securely fasten it onto your car. Wrap your rope or cord around the tree as tightly as you can from top to bottom. You want to tie it to the roof rails. If you don't have a roof rack, you can try extending the rope inside your vehicle so that you can anchor the tree to something.
- Do a tug. Shake and pull the tree to double-check that it is secure. If it slightly slides, you'll want to make the cords tighter. If the tree stretches beyond the size of your vehicle, tie a marking to the end of it to warn other motorists.
- Drive slow! This is the most crucial step. You should avoid taking the highway (if possible). Make sure you accelerate and decelerate smoothly so the tree doesn't go soaring.
We hope you enjoy the holidays with your loved ones. For more helpful tips and dependable auto services, please do not hesitate to reach out to the team at Scruggs Automotive in New York. We have multiple convenient locations, so feel free to give us a visit at your earliest convenience!